On Saturday morning I received a call from one of the teachers that I interviewed this week. She invited me to a Citizen Power Council activity in her neighborhood. I must be adapting to Nicaraguan culture because I immediately assumed that the meeting would begin an hour late. So it didn’t concern me that she called only a half hour before the start time, I hadn’t eaten breakfast yet, and I didn’t know how far away the neighborhood was—let alone that particular school. “Thanks so much for calling! I’ll be there!”
Over breakfast I asked the host, my friend Oto, if he knew the neighborhood. I figured I would walk and ask people along the way. I had been close before, and it isn’t dangerous. So I basically meandered my way to the school, even arrived “early” (45 minutes after the official start time) and the teacher met me at the gate (whom I only recognized at that moment). I guess this is what they mean by “things will work themselves out.”
The meeting concerned one of Ortega’s new government programs called Usura Cero or “Usury Zero.” It is a women-only micro-financing program charging 1% interest compounded annually. Groups of five to ten women learn how to form a business plan and a budget in order to sell cosmetics (like my teacher friend), open a hair salon or mini mart, or sell bananas (among other things). There were probably 80 women at this neighborhood meeting alone. Although I question whether or not all women have equal access to this program considering that the leaders were FSLN officials, they handed out the official FSLN newspaper and campaign posters to everyone, and they referred to themselves as “compañeras,” it does seem like a great opportunity for the FSLN women in the country. As long as the Citizen Power Council or another government body continues to provide technical assistance, it seems like this strategy could really help empower at least some women.
After the training session was over, Adeyla, my teacher friend, invited me over to her home. I met her entire family and was offered a soft drink and a chair, where we all chatted for an hour or so. Like so many others I have met here, they told me over and over again that they are “at my service” and to come by their home at any time for anything. Nicaraguan hospitality is quite an incredible thing.

When I returned to the hostel, I caught up with my friend Sally. She and I headed to “La Casita,” this amazing coffee-house-meets-Never-Never-Land that’s just south of town. We had fun exploring the hundreds of tropical plants, fruits and cacti, weaving our way through colorful gardens, admiring the ducks in the river, and happily allowing a young boy to take our picture.




No comments:
Post a Comment