Gloria made me an extra special breakfast (including yogurt) and lunch (chicken cooked in wine). I was thrilled to receive so many sweet emails from family and friends, and it was wonderful to talk with my mom and brother for quite a while on the phone. Jean, my friend the nun from across the street, left me a voicemail early in the morning and then came by later on to give me a very kind card. Gloria treated me to the movies, and we saw "Mama Mia." The music was in English, but the rest was dubbed over in Spanish. It was so corny, but I'm not ashamed to say that I loved it. It was just what I needed--lots of giggling over light-hearted comedy.
On Saturday, Gloria and Ernesto's family came over for the actual birthday party. I helped pay for a giant cake that Gloria picked out (the biggest birthday cake that I've ever seen), ice cream, pizza and pop--a regular junk food fest. We had lots to share with the neighbors too, which was what I had hoped. Claudia and I brought big slices of cake over to the nuns and little Hector and family. Hector brought me a present that his mom, Faviola (20-years-old) picked out: Dove deodorant. Now, normally one might be offended at such a gift, thinking that the person was trying to tell her to take a bath. However, it was actually a very sweet thing to do. Deodorant is actually a big purchase around here because people have so little money. And it was a very personal, feminine gift. Jean bought me a bag of dark Hershey kisses, so I've been in heaven. (Thank goodness I've been walking around so much in Esteli.)


Here is the Nicaraguan family: Claudia (daughter) holding Sergio (spoiled grandson), Gloria, Gloria's dad, Sergio (son-in-law), Ernesto (son), Douglas (friend), Garry (son), next to me Claudita (granddaughter), and Norma (Gloria's sister).
Gloria blew out my candle the first time around. I couldn't believe it! I was laughing so hard. She said, "I thought you might need some help." I replied, "Who needs help with only one candle!?!" It was pretty funny. I think we ended up relighting the candle three times because Ernesto wanted a picture of me all puckered up, blowing it out.

No comments:
Post a Comment