From left to right: Ernesto Jr. (son), Ernesto (dad), Me (gringa), Sergio (son-in-law), Claudita (granddaughter), Claudia (daughter), Sergio Jr. (grandson), Gloria (mom), Garry (son).Since the last time I wrote, I've conducted more interviews in three other primary schools: Batahola Norte and Batahola Sur (which are close to where Gloria and Ernesto live) and Colegio Bello Horizonte (which is close to Claudita's school). Gloria and I went to Claudita's cultural activity on Friday. I probably would have taken pictures if I weren't sick of the grandkids by then. They are both very spoiled, manipulative, and obnoxious. After the cultural activity,we walked over to Bello Horizonte so that I could conduct some interviews.
On Saturday, I had a long lunch with an American history/religion professor (Richard), who is staying at the Center for Global Education (where I work). It was really nice to 'talk shop' in English, to go out for lunch, and just to break up the routine. He has kids my age, and has been a good support for me. He and I are planning on going to Leon for a day-trip next week, which is a very famous municipality in Nicaragua. I'm looking forward to it.
On Sunday, Gloria and I went to see 'Tripulacion Dave' with Eddie Murphy. Believe it or not, that was the best choice available. There is an extreme time lag before a lot of movies make their way to Nicaragua, if they do at all. It was dubbed over in Spanish, but I enjoyed laughing at the obsurdity of it. Gloria did too. Nice to get out of the house and bask in some air conditioning and slap-stick comedy.
Monday, September 15th, was Independence Day, so I couldn't conduct any interviews. Gloria and I left the house at 8:30 AM for Esteli and didn't get back home until 7:00 PM. We were both exhausted. It took about two hours in the express bus to get there and about 3.5 on the regular bus to get back. Next time, I will triple-check the schedule to make sure that my tush is sitting on an express bus both ways!
I am planning on moving to Esteli next month to continue my fieldwork there. Gloria and I went to check out the town, figure out where everything is, and find a safe, clean, and comfortable place for me to live. I am very happy to report that I have secured such a place for myself, and that it happens to be the very same hotel that I had circled in my Lonely Planet guidebook. The older gentlemen who lives there is really kind, and the place is very clean and secure. It's really close to the grocery store, several cafes and restaurants, the central park, and even a yoga studio. Yay! I feel very free in Esteli. It's a lot smaller, cleaner, and safer than Managua.
Tuesday was also a holiday, so I spent the day working from home, reading and organizing my data and surveys. Good times. :-) Today I'm doing more of the same, except from the office at the Center for Global Education. I finally got an interview on Friday with someone that I've been trying to peg down for weeks, so I'm excited about that. Tomorrow I have an interview in the new American embassy with a woman I know in USAID. On Saturday, I'll be attending a meeting in Masatepe (about 45 minutes away from Managua) to recognize 'the best primary school teacher in Nicaragua.' A lot of big shots in the education world will be there, and my friend Mario Quintana (also a big shot--i.e. former Minister of Education) is going to introduce me. Hopefully more interviews will follow...
Next week I plan on shifting my school interviews into high gear. I finally got the data that I need from the Ministry of Education, so I have been able to figure out my official 'sample' of schools in Managua. I just need to finalize my survey/questionnaire for the principals and teachers. I'm working on a progress report for my committee, so we'll see what they think. :-)
All in all, life is good, and I know I'll be okay so long as I can manage my desire to control and plan everything. From the above description it doesn't seem like I'm doing too well on that today...

No comments:
Post a Comment