Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Lake Managua

After a busy day of emails, phone calls, research and note-taking, I jumped at the opportunity to explore Lake Managua with my friends, Garry (Gloria and Ernesto´s youngest son), Douglas (Garry´s best friend and my faithful guide and fearless interview advocate), and Doran (their Spanish friend who has come back to visit for the week).


Here is a very pretty view of downtown Managua. The National Palace is on the left, followed by the National Cathedral, the large flag in the center of the square, the National Theater and then a conk shell-shaped sculpture donated by Germany, I think.

Here we all are on the boat in the supposedly V.I.P. section (pronounced `veep´ here). From left to right: Doran, Garry, Douglas and Me.

As the rain cleared up, the heavens swirled an incredible cloud painting above.

Another majestic moment. Actually makes you forget the awful smell of the polluted lake and the brown tint from years of misuse. (They´re trying to clean it up, slowly but surely.)

Me and my guide (`mi guia´) Douglas.

No comments: