Thursday, September 11, 2008

Niños

Lately I have been conducting interviews with school principals, teachers, and parent volunteers in local primary schools. I am comparing the experiences of those schools that were previously autonomous (run by parent councils) with those that had remained government-run. I am also asking them about their experiences with the new government and about their relationship with local Citizen Power Councils. There is definitely a lot of variation, even between schools that are literally within a few city blocks of each other!

Many schools also have a preschool class (like the one below). This school (Colegio Escolar de Batahola Norte) is just a few blocks away from where I live.

I always feel like a celebrity around the kids. It's nice to be greeted with big smiles, waves and eager conversation: ¿Como te llamas? (What's your name?) ¿De donde eres? (Where are you from?) ¡Hola! (Hi!) ¡Adios! (Bye!).



I had to include another sweet picture of Hector. (He's a little obsessed with my camera at this point and asked me to take another picture of him in his cowboy hat. I didn't need much encouraging and was happy to oblige.)

2 comments:

The Mamma said...

Man, Hector is a cutie pie!!! I can see how he can charm you into using your camera :-). Anyway, just touching base, letting you know we're thinking about you and excited to read about all you are accomplishing there. And obviously praying that God keeps you safe.

Our moms are in Vegas for the weekend... scary I know... wish we could both be there with them!

Love ya,
RL

Kelly Bay said...

Thanks so much for your message, Randi Lee. I just now saw it or I would have written back a lot sooner. I hope you, Robin, Jeremy and the kids are all doing well. Just thinking about you all makes me smile. I'm looking forward to spending more time together when I'm home over the holidays.

Sending you big hugs from Nica!
Love, Kelly