
Under normal circumstances riding a motorcycle is not my prefered method of transportation. However, considering the horrible condition of the roads and the highly questionable state of most buses, riding a motorcycle with a trustworthy friend is much safer. Don't worry, I'm just posing. I ride on the back and let Ubaldo drive.
Ubaldo drove me out to the lake so that I could take some more pictures. (I forgot my camera the first time we went.) You can see why Jinotega is called Las Brumas refering to "the towns of mist."
This man-made lake was created in the 1930's. Now it is used for fishing and hydroelectricity.
Pictures of Franciscan Father Odorico D'Andrea are sold everywhere around here. Apparently he came from Italy as a very young man and dedicated his entire life to helping the poor in San Rafael del Norte. The people have never forgotten him.
Father D'Andrea's robes. The caretaker also opened up his first casket for us to take a look. (Believe me, I did not ask, and was grateful to see that there was nothing inside.)
Outside the church of Father D'Andrea.A picture of Sandino's mother and father and the house that he grew up in in Niquinohomo (a rural town further north). My reflexion also made it into the picture even without the flash. Oh, well.

Ubaldo and a descendent of Sandino's wife (Blanca), who now operates a tiny, decaying museum in Blanca's original house.


No comments:
Post a Comment