Yesterday evening, after two great interviews--one with the general coordinator of the Citizen Power Councils and another with a local teacher--I was attempting an improvised sponge bath and the power went off without warming. It was pitch black and I was naked and without a flashlight. I'm stumbling around by myself (which was probably a good thing) from the bathroom to my "bedroom," and then fumbled around in my backpack until I finally found it.
Without electricity, I was unable to connect to the Internet so that I could call my mom via Skype as planned, and I never have a cell phone reception here. Everyone had gone home for the weekend, so I was left behind with a dog and a security guard. I had no fan to comfort me through the night, and the bugs were way too attracted to my flashlight to allow for pleasant reading, so I was sitting awake in my bed, sweating away, beginning at 8:00 AM.
Fortunately we still had water pressure this morning even though I was disappointed to discover that the electricity was still out. The organization's cook came by at 7:00 AM with my breakfast, which she had cooked in her home. It was very sweet, though it startled me greatly because I wasn't expecting anyone until later. I can't visit schools on the weekend, and without electricity to work on my laptop and to use the Internet, I brought out a novel and was sitting outside in the shade for a while.
Another Zelaya brother, Julio, came by to introduce himself. Apparently he lives with his elderly parents in the same house across the road. (There have to be at least eight people living there according to my calculations.) Not long after, my Cuban friend Julien came by to give me the grand tour of the water purification system and nearby fincas (farms). Julio showed me all of his little projects--peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, coffee, etc. I learned how they pump water without electricity using gravity (and sucking the hose briefly). I saw how they pump the water from the ground and then add bleach to the water to make it drinkable. (I still drink bottled water, but they keep trying to convince me that it is safe.) Then we hiked around the very dry finca for an hour or so. We met the father of the Zelaya family out in the finca while he watered some of his fruit trees. (The guy is 85 years old, but is extremely strong and has a great sense of humor. He told me, "Welcome to the desert!") It wasn't all that tiring, but the heat is very intense here and I was SO thirsty by the time we got back to the Zelaya's house.
Now I am taking advantage of a wind generator, which is connected to a single outlet in the computer lab. The Internet is connected now and my laptop seems to be doing fine on it too. Thanks goodness! I didn't want to worry my mom!


Some shots to the south of Cinco Pinos. Honduras is only 7 kilometers to the north of us.

Here is the guest house where I stayed my first time here. The owner recognized me yesterday and told me how happy he was to see me again. Everyone is so sweet here.


A picture of the guest house owner's porch. A prominently displayed FSLN poster is out front. 90% of the population in El Espino, Cinco Pinos supports Daniel Ortega.

Very, very dry...

Here is Julien, my Cuban, English-speaking friend, who has been helping me so much during my stay here. This is the beginning of the water purification system.

Here is Julio Zelaya explaining some more about his crops.

Another picture of Julien displaying his knife. Everyone carries a machete around here and many wear bandanas over their faces because of the dust. Obviously they are not terrorists, but it does give one cause to do a double-take at first. This is actually a place where this kind of attire is necessary.

Watering the vegetables using gravity and sucking the water pipe.




Not the easiest place to grow corn, but he's doing it.

Hard to see, but there are two little yellow birds that were joining me this morning while I ate my breakfast outside.

No comments:
Post a Comment