Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Cerro de la Cruz

On Monday afternoon, after a fruitful and adventurous day on the back of the moto, Ubaldo, Daira and I climbed to the top of Cerro de la Cruz (Hill of the Cross), the backdrop of Jinotega.

Close to the cross. At night you can see it glowing as it hovers above the town.



Looking down upon Jinotega, the 9th largest municipality in Nicaragua, population 99,382.


Daira and I sitting on the top of the cross.




Taking a break from scrambling up the hill. It's not a long climb, but it's pretty steep and very slick. They don't exactly have trail maintenance here and most of the "trail" is loose dirt. Definitely did a bit of land skiing.



Ubaldo and Daira taking a breather.

The wind was really strong up there! It felt SO good after soaking myself in sweat and dirt on the way up. My feet were black by the time we got back to the house.


The different shades of blue mountains were gorgeous. They may not be "mountains" compared to those in the Pacific Northwest, but Jinotega's hills and volcanoes made me feel more at home.

Zooming into the town square. Earlier I posted pictures of this cathedral.


It was fun to find all the landmarks with which I have become very familiar over the past three weeks. Even from such a great distance I could point out all the schools that I visited and could differentiate among the different neighborhoods.

No comments: