Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Centro Escolar Las Lomas

Nothing makes me feel more like a rock star than busting out my digital camera at a Nicaraguan elementary school. The children LOVE to have their pictures taken. No prodding needed. These girls came running up to me to pose...



You might be surprised to see some red-headed children in these photos. Interestingly enough, around the time of WWII a substantial number of Europeans moved to Nicaragua and settled in the Jinotega area. As a result, there are a lot more white people or "cheles" (coming from the word "leche" or milk). (Note: My catcallers refer to me as both "chele" and "gringa." While "chele" refers just to my skin color, "gringa" is reserved for US citizens.)

Physical education classes consist of a lot of relay races due to the small area in which children have to play.





I was impressed that these students continued working when I walked by. Entering some schools is like entering a demilitarized zone--total chaos. Children are yelling "Gringa!" and start asking me for money. In contrast, when I entered classrooms in Las Lomas, the students stood up simultaneously and shouted "Buenos dias!" They wait until the teacher asks them to sit down, say "Gracias!" and then take their seats.

This was my second time visiting this school. When we first arrived, the vice principal told me that none of the teachers had filled out my surveys. (I left them a week ago with the principal, who assured me that they would be ready by Monday.) Anyway, Ubaldo suggested that we come back during their recess. In the meantime, we rode on to San Rafael del Norte to check out the town where Sandino lived with his wife. When we got back, all ten of my surveys were filled out. I couldn't believe it! (The vice principal had lied to me when she said that some of them had left theirs at home.)

No comments: