Sunday, March 29, 2009

Trine's Surprise Party

On Friday I headed back to Esteli to stay the weekend with Camilla and Trine. It was Trine's birthday on Wednesday, and Camilla and I have been planning a surprise party for her for the last week or so. It's difficult to capture the entire evening when the birthday girl hates having her picture posted on the Internet. Obviously, most of the pictures have Trine in them because it is her birthday after all. Oh, well.

The sign on the wall says 'Sigalo Trine,' which means 'Bring it, Trine! It's one of her favorite reggaeton (latin rap) songs. It's an inside joke, but that was basically the theme of the party.


Trine had no idea what was going on until the last minute. Camilla and I pretended like we were taking her out for dinner. We were all dressed up and everything, and then I pretended that I had forgotten something in the house. I told them to go ahead and get a drink and an appetizer and that I would be right back. As soon as I left the restaurant, I was at a dead sprint, passing by the bakery to pick up her cake, and then decorating the house with balloons and dozens and dozens of candles inside and outside (not visible here with the flash). When she walked in, I was wearing my rapper outfit, her favorite song, 'Sigalo' was blasting, and I handed Camilla and Trine their hats, sunglasses, jackets and extra 'bling' (gold chains). We all started dancing together before the rest of the gang showed up. Very difficult to get anyone to show up on time in Nicaragua, but we went with it.


Singing the Latin American birthday song that I still haven't managed to memorize. (It isn't simply the translation of 'Happy Birthday'...)

Elian and his mom, Carmen. Carmen cleans for Camilla and Trine, and Carmen's husband, William, works part-time as a clown. He has performed in the preschool where Camilla and Trine work (one of their many treats to the children).
Maria Jose and little Ledis. Maria Jose is finishing her psychology dissertation on the effects of war-time for those Nicaraguans who served as counter-intelligence during the Revolution.

Alex and his girlfriend Maria Jose (another one!). Very funny couple.

Rommel was Camilla and Trine's Spanish teacher a year ago. Now he is a good friend and comes by for Norwegian lessons. He is holding Trine's tiara.

Trine painted Luis and Alex's faces late into the night. Can't imagine the looks that they received on their beer run to the gas station.

Trine will have to forgive me for posting this (please!). It's the only picture that I have on my camera with me in it. I should be getting more pictures from my friends soon.

Camilla sporting her soccer jersey. She got the whole team in Esteli to sign it last weekend. Not surprised. She and Trine are both extremely outgoing and charming.

No comments: