Thursday, March 5, 2009

La Trinidad and San Nicolas

In case you're wondering if I've forgotten that I'm here to conduct my dissertation fieldwork...

For the past month and a half I have been visiting two municipalities outside of Esteli (where I'm living with Trine and Camilla). La Trinidad is about a 35-minute bus ride south and San Nicolas is about an hour-long bus ride southwest. My "commute" consists of a wild taxi ride to the bus terminal (about 10 minutes away); begin bombarded by a dozen bus drivers yelling different destinations at me ("Matagalpa!?!" "Masaya!?!" "Managua!?!" and some that don't begin with "M"...); listening to beggers and vendors selling grapes, magic seeds, anti-parasite medication, and fancy pens as they walk down the bus aisle; enjoying the soft tones of sappy 80's romance songs or reggaeton or ranchero music ("Ayayay!")--it just depends on how lucky I am; hoping that I don't have to sit three adults to a seat on an American school bus (sometimes I get the pleasure of someone's stomach or rear in my face the whole way--the concept of personal space does not exist here); and then I get to force my way through the mosh pit to finally exit the bus. But it's amazing what you can get used to. I always sit by the window and really enjoy the beautiful morning landscape.

I have been interviewing local political officials in city hall, political party delegates, Ministry of Education personnel, Citizen Power Council (CPC) coordinators and members, primary school principals, teachers and parents, and have attended various meetings (i.e. CPC-related meetings, those having to do with government social programs, parent-teacher meetings, teacher training sessions, etc.).

In contrast to the dominance of the Sandinista (or FSLN) party in Esteli, the opposition Liberal party (or PLC) governs in both La Trinidad and San Nicolas. (Liberal here does not mean the same thing as it does in the US, i.e. "liberal as progressive social policies." The Liberal party here is *supposed* to stand for free markets, international trade, and low taxes. However, since the FSLN and the PLC have formed a Pact to ensure their political domination, party platforms are somewhat meaningless.) Among other things, I am interested in how the Citizen Power Councils (CPC) function in municipalities governed by the opposition party. Whereas the FSLN mayor in Esteli cooperates with the CPC in order to comply with President Ortega's orders that "the people" (in the form of the CPC) should govern directly, I have found that this is not the case in municipalities where the FSLN is not in power (i.e. in La Trinidad and San Nicolas). This is very interesting for my research because it helps explain why the "winners" and "losers" under Ortega's model of direct democracy vary across the country.

Although both La Trinidad and San Nicolas are controlled by the PLC, these two municipalities have had very different experiences with the Autonomous School Program (ASP), namely that all schools in San Nicolas refused to enter the program. I found out that the teachers in San Nicolas are very well organized under the Sandinista teacher's union, ANDEN, and that they refused to enter the ASP because the children are too poor to pay them. (Explaining variation in why different schools entered the ASP in the first place is also important for my research because it affects the likelihood of policy success.)

In terms of the quality of education, La Trinidad is ranked #9 in the country--one of the top municipalities in the country--while San Nicolas is ranked #149 (out of 153 municipalities)--one of the worst. (This ranking system is far from perfect, but it does provide some basis of comparison. It averages matriculation, repetition, drop-out and graduation rates.) I am finding out that a lot of this has to do with much higher levels of extreme poverty in San Nicolas, as well as the migration of families out of San Nicolas due to lack of employment. As a result, all of the rates that are used in the education quality index--matriculation, repetition, drop-out and graduation--are declining every year; however, this may have more to do with migration than anything else.

Anyway, I feel like I'm getting a lot of good stuff out here, lots to write about due to the political situation here (for better or worse). I'm even starting to write my paper for LASA (Latin American Studies Association), which is the conference in Brazil at which I'll be presenting in June. The focus of this paper is Ortega's strategies for centralizing power and the consequences for the quality of democracy. I hope to get it published after receiving feedback in Brazil, but we'll see...

I can't believe how quickly nearly two months have flown by! I only have one week more in Esteli before I relocate to my next research site, Jinotega (about three hours away). Actually, I am going back to Managua first on Thursday the 12th to visit my host family and repack before heading to Jinotega sometime next weekend. I plan on doing research in Jinotega for about three weeks, coming back to stay in the Norwegians' house during the week of Easter or "Semana Santa" (the whole country basically shuts down this week), regrouping in Managua for a couple days, and then heading back to the very rural municipality of Cinco Pinos (the place I visited last week with the women's cooperative that makes the juice and snacks for the students). I'll probably stay in Cinco Pinos, my last research site, for three weeks and save the last week of my fieldwork to say goodbye to friends and wrap things up before heading home on May 14th. Now I only have 10 weeks left!

Although I had a rough start in my fieldwork in August/September of last year (felt pretty isolated and stressed out in Managua), things have worked out in ways that I could never have possibly imagined myself. This experience has really helped me to live in the moment and to release my grip on trying to control and plan everything. I haven't been "cured" completely of anxiety and control issues, but I know that I will carry these lessons with me forever and for that I am very thankful.

No comments: