I haven't been keeping up on all of my latest adventures very well, so this is a bit late. Oh, well. Not this weekend but last I went to a baseball game with Camilla and another Norwegian, Orlov. (To be honest, I still don't know how to pronounce, let alone spell, his name.) Anyway, this is the Nicaraguan equivalent of the major leagues, and baseball is the national sport over soccer, which is atypical in Latin America.
Esteli warming up to take on rival Matagalpa. Thank goodness there were two fences between us and the field. I actually saw a foul ball go through the first fence. Fortunately no one was hurt.
Matagalpa is in red and Esteli in white and green.
Esteli did very well. The game was called at the of the sixth because Esteli was up by seven. (Not sure if there is an equivalent rule in MLB. Well, it was a double-header, so maybe the refs were tired...)
I would guess that there were about 4,000 people watching the game. Our "luxury" seats cost C$50, which is about $2.50 USD. Standing room costs C$20 or $1 USD. And if you can scale the wall (upper-left), it's free.
In addition to perching themselves on the walls, there were kids watching the game from tree branches.



No comments:
Post a Comment