Friday, May 8, 2009

Ometepe Island and San Juan del Sur Pics

Here are the pics that I promised from my week as a tourist...


The surf van. Felt like I was in a music video for the Beach Boys.

Arena Caliente or Hot Sand is the name of the surf camp that I joined in San Juan del Sur.
Here I am catching one of my baby waves.

Here is the beach in downtown San Juan del Sur. Absolutely beautiful view. I took a nice, long walk barefoot along the entire beachfront every evening.

My first view of the beach eating lunch along the shore.

On Ometepe Island, looking at the taller volcano Concepcion over the lagoon in the natural reserve Charco Verde.

The view from my balcony of Finca Magdalena, an organic farming cooperative.

Viewing the smaller volcano Maderas on one of my walks through the natural reserve.

Grinding cacoa to make our own organic chocolate. Incredibly delicious! (P.S. If I look like a lobster, that's because I was. I misjudged my exposure on the ferry boat ride over. Fortunately the farm had plenty of aloe vera cactus that we cut up and slathered over my toasty little body.)

Roasting the cacao beforehand.

Darif grinding coco for our chocolate.

Getting the fire started.

Sally and Darif have lived in this tent for the past five months while they have volunteered working on the farming cooperative.

Here are Sally and Darif posing as we cook together.

The farm's kitchen.

Lots of cacti.

And lots of bananas too.

I was reassured that all the beer and liquor bottles have accumulated over at least a year's time.

The adobe stove on the left is much more efficient than an open fire and helps prevent respiratory disease.

Beautiful gardens are scattered throughout the farm. We spent the day munching on organic fruits and veggies.

The walk from the natural reserve.

The restaurant at Charco Verde.

Charco Verde beachfront. My bedroom door opened out to this...

Very lush and beautiful landscaping.

A view of both the volcanoes of Ometepe Island prior to embarking on the ferry.

No comments: