Friday, January 23, 2009

La Trinidad

Here are some pictures from La Trinidad yesterday. They aren't in the order that I wanted, but this computer is giving me problems...


I'm still not sure whether this is a practical joke, a creative way to dispose of old shoes, or some kind of cultural gesture...I've seen shoes hanging from power lines like this in a lot of towns. Feels like a scene from the movie 'Big Fish.'

The central park in La Trinidad. I love all the trees and plants of this region.

The random Catholic convocation procession that ground the town to a halt yesterday (as well as my research plans). Oh, well... People paraded through the town to lively music before entering the main church in the central park.

The Ministry of Education municipal office, which apparently covers both La Trinidad and my next research site, San Nicolas. The people here were so kind and helpful (unlike the intense, suspicious employees in Managua).

Despite the convocation, I had a great interview with the only FSLN city councilman, who also serves as the municipal leader of the Citizen Power Councils. We talked for over an hour, and he gave me a couple of books on the socialist revolution. Very nice guy. Very religious and idealistic, but also pragmatic. This is from inside his office.

The first three pictures are of August C. Sandino, the caudillo whose ideology ignited the Sandinista Revolution of the 1980s. (He began fighting the Somoza dictatorship in the 1930s.) The fourth picture over is Ruben Dario, I believe, the famous Nicaraguan poet. And the last one has something to do with the people overthrowing William Walker, the North American who declared himself King of Nicaragua in the 19th century.
Here is the Catholic Church in the center of La Trinidad.
I think this must be the campaign house for the FSLN in La Trinidad. Paiwas is the name of the mayoral candidate who ran (and lost) this November. It says FSLN, the force of the revolution, on for more victories (signed by 'Daniel,' referring to the current President of Nicaragua, Daniel Ortega. They use only his first name or sometimes call him Comandante Daniel, meaning that he is a soldier of the revolution, just like everyone else.)

Here is the mayor's office in La Trinidad. I dig the purple and yellow.
The Virgin lets me know that I've arrived to La Trinidad. I am always ready to give thanks when I get off a mode of public transportation here. :-)

The bus stops are always painted in the colors of political parties. Red and white are the colors of the opposition party (which dominates in La Trinidad) the PLC or Liberal Constitutionalist Party. It's platform is somewhat similar to the Republican Party in the US.


A picture of one of the buses passing by in the opposite direction as I wait to head back to Esteli. I am now friends with the bus coordinator, who always runs across the street to greet me every day. 'Hello, Sweetheart!' he says. He's not creepy, so it is always a pleasant exchange.

No comments: